Wednesday, March 21, 2012

25

Hi guys!  Tall One here!  My birthday was yesterday and I turned the big 2-5!  It was a great day, full of lots of little surprises that reminded me just how many awesome people I have in my life!  It was the perfect way to kick off my 25th year and left me feeling very loved.

There is something about 25 that really feels like a milestone.  My early twenties proved to be a bit of a limbo between the carefree college years and the need to feel settled, which I'm sure will eventually hit me.  There have been some ups and downs but I've made it through the first half of my twenties and am now feeling (somewhat) prepared to start moving out of that limbo and to face adulthood head on. 
So much has happened over the last few years.  I graduated college, moved out of my parents' house, then moved across the state to a city where I knew no one.  I started my first real job, ran my first (and second) marathon, and learned to cook.  I’ve kept in touch with old friends, made new friends, and dated some interesting characters.  I’ve found a church I love, the perfect apartment, and started a blog.
As my birthday approached this year, I started thinking about everything I’ve learned as a result of these changes.  Sticking with the theme of our blog, I came up with a list of 25 things I know to be true about life, love, and the kitchen, and thought it would be fun to share them along with a few pictures from my birthday.
So how does a Spatularette celebrate her birthday?  Apparently with lots and lots of desserts!

25 THINGS I KNOW TO BE TRUE
1. Act the way you want to be treated.
2. Quality ingredients lead to quality meals. 
3. Be careful who and what you text.  It lasts forever.
 4. “God is good—always—even when I don’t get it.”
 5. Don’t be afraid to start over.
The first thing I see upon walking into work.
My co-workers decorated my desk.
6. Make time to pursue your passions.
 7. Good enough should never be good enough.
 8. It turns out my parents actually know what they are talking about.
 9. Cooking with friends (and wine) is more fun!
 10. The man should pay on the first date… no exceptions.
They also surprised me with a cake before lunch.
11. Happiness is a choice.
12. If you smell smoke, chances are you have a problem!
13. A cup of coffee can change your world.  So can a stiff drink.
14. Be your own best friend.
15. Prayer is powerful.
And with the cake came balloons.
16. Treat others the way you want to be treated.
17. Trust your instincts.
18. If you don’t like it, change it.  If you can’t change it, change your attitude.
19. Recipes are overrated.  Be creative!
20. You should never have to convince someone that you are worth their time.
My friends brought cookie dough cupcakes to lunch to celebrate!
21. Change is a good thing.
22. Trust the Yelp reviews.
23. We are the product of our environment, so choose your friends wisely.
24. Never respond to a 2 AM text message.
25. Learn from your mistakes.  In life, in love, and in the kitchen.
To top off a great day, Small One took me out to dinner.
We went to Heirloom in Chestnut Hill and it was amazing!
...and yes that was my third dessert of the day :)
XOXO,
Tall One

No comments:

Post a Comment