Sunday, August 5, 2012

Dear Small One

Dear Small One,
Three years ago, almost to the day, I sat along the river on Pittsburgh's North Shore with my spatular at the time.  We looked up at the massive digital clock that sits atop Mt Washington and watched as the minutes clicked by.  "Just think," he said.  "In 33 hours you won't be a Pittsburgher anymore... you'll be a Philadelphian."  That moment was the definition of the word bittersweet. By no means was I ready to leave, but I couldn't have been more excited about what the next chapter of my life would hold.  The last three years since I made the big move have brought me more happiness than I ever dreamed was possible, especially because I was able to spend two of them sharing a city with you.  But now the bittersweet day has come for me to say to you: Small One, you're not a Philadelphian anymore... you're a Pittsburgher!

When we first met six years ago, I knew we were destined to be great friends, but I never imagined that you would redefine the meaning of best friend.  During that time I have experienced some of the lowest moments of my life as well as been on top of the highest mounts and there is literally no one else in the world I would have wanted at my side through it all.  You were the one who sat with me when I got the call that my grandfather had passed away and you were in the passenger seat when I totaled your car and broke my hand.  You were the first person I hugged when we won the conference championship in cross country and the one who makes me laugh until I cry.  It doesn't matter if nobody else laughs... we know that we're funny :)

I hate to see you leave, but I am so excited about what life holds for you.  I have no idea where your path will lead you but I am confident that you can change the world--whether it be through science or the way you touch people's lives.  Things are obviously going to change as life pulls us in different directions, but I know that our friendship will remain a constant.  Some bonds are too strong to be broken.

So today as you say goodbye to the City of Brotherly Love and hello to the City of Bridges, just remember that you will always be by best friend and my other half.  I love you with all of my heart!

XOXO,
Tall One

No comments:

Post a Comment