Sunday, August 26, 2012

Homemade Salsa


The theme this week for the Tomato Love Recipe Exchange hosted by Gimme Some Oven and Bake Your Day is All Time Favorite Tomato Recipes.  All time favorite is a tough call to meet, so it really got me thinking.  In truth, there was a period of time as a child that I didn't even like tomatoes.  I would eat them, because my parents wouldn't let me have dessert until I cleaned my plate, but I definitely wasn't a fan.  The one tomato dish that I have always been a fan of though, is SALSA!  There are so many different varieties that it never gets boring.  I especially love making homemade salsa in the summertime when all of the required ingredients are super inexpensive and oh-so-fresh!  So when I was invited to a lakeside picnic this weekend, I knew just the thing to bring!

INGREDIENTS:
-1 lb ripe tomatoes
-2 cloves of garlic, minced
-1 small red onion, finely chopped
-1 large jalapeno, seeded and chopped
-1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
-Juice of one lime
-1 tsp kosher salt


In a large bowl, combine the chopped tomatoes, garlic, onion, jalapeno and cilantro.  This will make a nice mild salsa, so if you want some kick add another jalapeno or throw in some of the seeds.  Squeeze the juice of one lime over the veggies and toss in the salt.  If you are using table salt as opposed to kosher salt, only use 1/2 tsp.  Use a wooden spoon to toss everything together and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving so the flavors have a chance to marry.

For the picnic I just served this salsa with some blue corn tortilla chips, but it is also terrific when added to eggs or on top of grilled chicken.  This week's recipe exchange is sponsored by Recipes For Change and The Hamilton Beach Slow Cooker so we suggest checking those sites out as well!


Summertime is salsa time!!

XOXO,
Tall One


No comments:

Post a Comment