Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Gramma's Buttermilk Biscuits

Small One here!  I'm back from WV with a powerful message: It ain't real home cooking unless it's West Virginia home cooking!  At least that is the way I've always thought about the kitchen, especially when it comes to homemade rolls, breads, and biscuits!  Since I was a little girl, my mama would tell stories of my great-grandmother's big, soft hands kneading bread dough and baking to perfection.  On the walls of every kitchen of my extended family is a picture of my great-grandmother's bread creations.  It has always been an inspiration (even if I'm not the best baker!).  The Spatularettes are bringing you a simple recipe for melt-in-your-mouth biscuits, the Real McCoy version... literally!!




Ingredients:

3 cups flour (will need extra for rolling and cutting!)
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup crisco
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk



Preheat oven to 425.  Mix dry ingredients and cut crisco into the mixture until it is the texture of coarse cornmeal.

Add buttermilk and knead until the dough is smooth.  Roll out the dough so that it is about 1/8 inch thick (make sure you have plenty.  Cut out biscuits using a round cookie cutter, a drinking glass, or whatever you have handy.  My gramma likes to keep a measuring cup full of flour to prevent her cookie cutter from getting too doughy.



Place on a greased cookie sheet.  Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until golden brown.  Let cool, but not too long, because these bad boys are best warm!


Eat these like a real West Virginian for breakfast with some sausage gravy or butter and honey!

XOXO,
Tall and Small

No comments:

Post a Comment